The Victorian Hang Gliding and Paragliding Association
The VHPA is the Victorian branch of the HGFA (Hang Gliding Federation of Australia), and is responsible for fostering the sports of Hang Gliding, Paragliding, Weight Shift Microlighting (trikes) and Parascending in Victoria.
Once a month a group of pilots (the VHPA committee, which includes representatives from every Victorian club) get together to go over projects that are helping to make Victoria a better, safer place to fly and get ‘best bang for buck’ from the state development levy for pilots.
This might be administering funds to a club who need financial help in maintaining a flying site, or improving operational safety. It might be helping create a state government licence or agreement with a landowner, planning attendance at sports expos or air shows, gaining additional airspace access or it could be looking at ways to further improve pilot knowledge & training.
Our activities include:
- Supporting clubs to grow the sport across all disciplines, improve safety and pilot education
- Funding flying site maintenance or improvements
- Funding new flying site developments
- Funding specialist sports development events
- Developing flying/ landing right of use agreements
- Lodging and acquiring VIC state government access licences
- Assessing and funding appropriate flying safety programs for VIC pilots
- Assessing and funding competitions specialist clinics for VIC pilots
- Assisting Victorian clubs become affiliated with the VHPA/HGFA
- Assisting Victorian clubs govern and administer themselves and their sites
- Organising working bees
- Gaining access to additional airspace
- Supporting clubs to encourage community awareness and participation in the sports
- Representing Victoria at a state level to state and federal government entities
- Seeking to ensure all pilots operate responsibly and safely
- Representing Victoria at a state level to HGFA (and hence through ASAC, FAI, CASA, and other National Aero Clubs, etc.)
Got a project idea? Talk to your club or VHPA committee. The VHPA’s funding & expenditure guidelines are available on the downloads page.
The VHPA committee is elected at the AGM in August of each year for a period of 12 months and meets on the 3rd Thursday of every month (except January when there is no meeting) at 6:30pm, upstairs at the Retreat Hotel , 226 Nicholson St Abbotsford 3067 (ring Rob for details on 0408 335 559). All welcome. Note the 2017 June meeting is on Tuesday 13th and the October meeting is on Wednesday 18th due to scheduling conflicts.
Please send any feedback or updates to information contained within this website to the VHPA Webmaster.